Sunday, September 11, 2011

Adalbert Nemec

My great grandfather, Adalbert (Albert) Nemec b. abt. 1854 immigrated to the U.S. along with his wife, Caroline Mrazek and 3 children. I have been researching to find the name of the ship which they arrived on. My grandfather, Joseph Nemec was the only member of the family to be born in the U.S. The other family members were born in Bohemia.

I took advantage of Ancestry.com's free passenger search weekend and typed in "Adalbert Nemec" and up popped "Vojtech Nemec". Vojtech's date of birth was correct, his wife's and daughter's names and birthdates were correct, but his son who I have listed as Albert came up as Voptech. Now I am trying to find someplace in the internet that will translate Bohemian names into English to see if these names do translate to Albert or Adalbert.

The ship "Rhaetia" is the immigrant ship this Nemec family arrived on. It originated in Hamburg, Germany and LeHavre, France before landing in New York in 1891. Ellis Island records start in 1892 so I can't trace this family there.

This is the information I have on my great-grandparents and their children:

Adalbert (Albert) Nemec b. abt. 1854 Bohemia, Czechoslovakia d. 1904 St. Louis, MO
Caroline Mrazek (wife) b. abt. 1855 Bohemia, Czechoslovakia d. 1901 St. Louis, MO
Albert Nemec (son) b. Aug. 15, 1879 Bohemia, Czechoslovakia; d. July 15, 1949 St. Louis, MO
Mary (Maria) Nemec (daughter) b. abt. 1881 Bohemia, Czechoslovakia
Anna Nemec (Daughter) b. abt. 1884 Bohemia, Czechoslovakia
Joseph George Nemec (son) b. Feb. 22, 1895 St. Louis, MO; d. Nov. 23, 1961 St. Louis, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment